Outlook 2013 can state that your inbox is flagged with “1” unread message, but you can not find the email that is in bold and unread. Even after emptying the inbox folder, this bold “1” stays next to my Inbox folder. Below are some possible solutions to find that email that is unread or clear the Bold number next to your Inbox.
From your Windows 10 Search bar, run the following command
This cleans the internal viewstate and should resolve the problem.
WARNING: Running this command will also reset any custom views!
- In the “Search Current Mailbox (Ctrl+E)” box, type:
read:noand hit Enter.
- When it shows “Find More on Server” link, click it. Then the unread email(s) should appear.
EDIT: Works with Outlook 2016 as well
Reset the view in outlook
- Open outlook and select the folder you are having issues with.
- On outlook ribbon click “View”
- Under current view category, click the Reset View
You can often view the missing email through Outlook Web Mail. If you have access to OWA, log in, view the email and this should remove the Unread flag on the email