You are either an Android or an Apple user and amongst a group of mates, the preference is often divided. The ability to FaceTime is a well-known and widely used video calling app among iPhone users. However, its main weak point was its exclusivity for the Apple ecosystem, which limited millions of people to use it compared to other services such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams. There is now some good news with the release of the new iOS 15 for the iPhone. When iOS 15 was released, it introduced several new features for iPhone users to explore. Easily one of the most fascinating is the ability to now FaceTime with users that aren’t on iOS devices, without needing to jailbreak your phone or take any third-party methods. Apple iPhone users can now Facetime Android users if they have upgraded their iOS 15 to version 15 or above.
Yes, it is true, Apple has opened that door. OK, fine, it’s not fully open, it’s just cracked a little bit — just a peek. It’s not going to be as simple as selecting facetime and it will just work. It will operate the same as other well-known video calling apps such as Teams and Zoom. Apple users can now make or schedule FaceTime calls from their Apple devices and send a special FaceTime link to their contacts. Friends that don’t have an iPhone will get a web link to open — so, Android or Windows devices can accept the call and participate in it via the webpage.
Here’s how to join FaceTime calls with iOS 15 no matter what device you’re using.
How to start a FaceTime call with Android or Windows users
Now, as mentioned before we cant get too excited. It’s not like the FaceTime app is coming to Android and Windows. It will not be as easy as making and accepting calls with an app. The process will work similar to the likes of Zoom and teams where you’ll be able to jump on a FaceTime call using a link, so long as the person scheduling or starting the call has an Apple device and an Apple account. If you’re an Apple user and have downloaded iOS 15, here’s how to get a FaceTime call started with people on Android or Windows devices.
1. Open the FaceTime app on your phone.
2. Tap Create Link.
3. A screen will slide up from the bottom that says FaceTime Link. You can click Add Name to enter a name for your chat.
4. On the same screen, you’ll see options to share the link through text, email, Twitter, calendar or other apps you have on your phone. Or, you can copy and paste the link yourself.
5. To join the call yourself, tap the name of the chat you just created, and tap Join.
6. When the Android or Windows user clicks the link, it will take them to a waiting room where you can allow them to join the call by tapping a check next to their name.
How to join a FaceTime call using Android or Windows
To join a FaceTime call on an Android or Windows device, all you need is the link sent to you by the person with an Apple device. You don’t need to download a separate app. Here’s how to join a FaceTime call through a shared link.
1. Open the FaceTime link from wherever it was shared with you.
2. The link will open in your browser (you’ll need the latest version of Chrome or Edge). Enter your name, and tap Continue.
3. The screen will say “Waiting to be let in” until the person who invited you approves you to join the call.