Allowing your Web browser to remember your passwords can be convenient and can save you time, but doing this it will pose some security risks. If you do this on your own computer and under your own login then this can be a great option for you. If you are using a shared computer with a shared login it is very important to never save your login details. In this Tech Tip, we will discuss how to delete and disable both saved passwords in Chrome and Internet Explorer.
This will include all websites which require logon access such as Work remote access Portals, Webmail Portals, Shopping websites and Banking websites.
When using a shared computer with a shared login ensure you select the below if prompted to save your password:
For Internet Explorer :
For Google Chrome :
If you logon to a computer with a unique username and password that only you will know the credentials, then it is fine to save your passwords for convenience since the access is only allowed when you are logged in..
You may find yourself in a position where your credentials have been saved within your browser on a machines that you have previously worked on and you would like to remove this.
Removal of Passwords
To remove previously saved password and disable the storing of future ones, perform the below steps.
Instructions for Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer 11.
- From top-right corner, click on ‘gear’ icon and select ‘Internet Options’.
- Select the Advanced Tab, and click Reset
- Ensure that you tick Delete Personal Settings and click Reset
Now that the passwords and credentials have been removed, it’s time to disable the function permanently.
- Close Internet Explorer, and reopen it. Follow the previous steps up until selecting Internet Options
- Select the Content Tab at the top, and select Settings in the Auto Complete section
- Disable the highlighted features below (Browsing History, User Names and Passwords on Forms and Ask me Before Saving Passwords on Forms
To manage passwords in IE select the Manage Passwords button.
- Finally, select OK and close out of Internet Explorer and reopen it. Done.
Instructions for Google Chrome
To Delete or disable saved passwords in Google chrome :
- Open Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar (Top Right).
- Select Settings.
- Then select Show advanced settings.
- Click Manage saved passwordsin the “Passwords and forms” section to see a list of all the usernames and passwords that have been saved. Click the X at the end of each selection to remove it from the list of saved passwords until no more credentials are available.
To Disable the Saved Passwords Function :
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Under the “Passwords and forms” section, un-tick the “Offer to save your web passwords” checkbox to remove the saved passwords feature.
Google Password Manager
Google Password Manager is a website Google password manager built into the Google Chrome web browser. If you have logged into Your google browser with your Google account then your passwords will be automatically synched. By default, Chrome encrypts your synced passwords with a key that is stored in your Google Account to ensure that they are completely secure. The same information set within your Chrome Password settings is synced to Google. By following the steps above will change in both locations as long as you are logged in.